Monday, December 10, 2007

Janome 6600 table and Paint Sponges


I got an email from a lady looking for this table as she couldn't find it. I checked on Ebay for Kens Sewing Center and couldn't find it. Wow. So I did a Google search for Ken's website and called him up asking about this table. He said Janome no longer allows him to ship out-of-state and had to shut down his Ebay store because of it. Geesh. Talk about getting ruthless Janome. When I asked how come he has these tables and my Janome dealer has NO clue what I am talking about he said that most dealers don't carry acessories. They just want to sell machines. He said he sold hundreds of them all the time as the demand was so high.

I emailed Janome and let them have it (politely of course) about my frustrations of my dealer not knowing about this table and that their new rule was unfair to us as the consumer. They won't care of course, but at least I feel better.

SO since Janome is being stupid, if your dealer has no clue what you are talking about give them this part number: 494702002 for the Janome Sewing Cabinet. It took me forever to find it on the Janome website.

Hopefully that clears up some things for people who want this Janome table.

Next problem LOL.
I've been using invisible thread for a week now without any problems until today. Sigh. Of course I need to get this project done ASAP so I can mail it out when problems hit. I had just changed needles and was quilting along nicely when there was this loud CLUNK and my needle broke. Of course it's my last size 60 needle. I rethreaded the machine and put in a new size 70 needle and proceeded to sew. CLUNK and the needle breaks. Today really isn't my day. I check the thread path again and realized that the thread was getting caught up in the thread stand thingy. The invisible thread is twisting around the thread holder. I try my big thread holder and as I watching it, it got twisted up again.

I really can't can't win today. The invisible thread is all twisty like from being on the spool and I really needed better tension. Then it hit me. My mom has a thread stand that she got from her Viking dealer years ago. It has a foam thingy that you put your thread through and creates wonderful tension. Of course when I checked the Viking store a couple of years ago when I was visiting my mom they said the stopped carrying those about 10 years ago.

I had hubby drive me to my local Pamida and got a few of those cheap wide foam brushes in the paint department. They are just like the sponge thingy on my mom's thread holder. I carefully took out the handle and realized it was just perfect to fit over the the two thread paths over my Janome 6600.


IT WORKED. I took a needle and pushed the invisible thread through the foam and followed the thread path. No problems whatsoever. Whoo Hooo! Yeah, I know about the safety pin trick but the thread was twisting up by the bend in the holder.

My day is going so much better now. I just need to put a sleeve on the back of the quilt and keep working on hubby's quilt. I don't know if the foam works for thicker threads (my mom's stand does) but for invisible threads, it's perfect.

It's nice to know I'm not nearly as dumb as I think I am.










494702002

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Bethany,
You sell yourself short. What a great solution! I would have never thought of that. Thank you for sharing!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing on both problems. I've been tucking away money, not as fast as I'd like, so I could order the table. Bummer now I'd have to see if my Janome dealer could get it for me.
I'm glad all worked out with your sewing.

Gina said...

well done for giving Janome hell. Not many of the dealers over here will sell you the makers stuff, they all want you to buy the ( very expensive0 Horn sewing cabinets/tables.

love and hugs xxx

Jen said...

I just do not understand what Janome's deal is on the internet sales. We should at the very least be able to call these places to place an order and have them ship to us. It's a table for cripes sake, not even a machine.

Great idea for the thread! That's something I'll have to try and keep in my bag of tricks for stubborn thread!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

How ingenious! I love it when I can make things work without spending a bunch of money! Woo hoo for you!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I forgot to add - I'm very impressed that you gave Janome what for! It makes no sense that they would keep internet sales from happening!

Anonymous said...

What happened to you did the same to me but was using thread and was told the crash was on the plastic part below bobbin casing, when it was looked at l was told l hadden't put needle in high enough, it could have been thread but didn't check,

Anonymous said...

would this table work with the MB4? Im about to upgrade machines

Bethany said...

Anonymous,

I'm not sure. I have a Viking Topaz sitting on the table now and there is vibration. My machine or the table doesn't move any but it will vibrate.

It's an extremely sturdy table but I don't know if the table will hold 63 lbs that is vibrating as well. Max speed of the MB4 is 800 spm..that's probably what my Topaz stitches out..or really close. Yours is probably a little faster.

When I checked out the table online, it doesn't specify how much weight the table will take. My concern is the weight. If you can check it out at a dealer, do so.