Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nancy Chong


I had another "DUH" moment. I've been trying to find thread that matches my Mariner's Compass quilt. I have to order online as there isn't anyplace near to get thread. I can go to Lincoln or Omaha but I've found a lot of places don't carry a lot of thread colors or thread I like. Sigh. I'm sort of a thread snob.

I really like Aurifil thread but it's really pricy. DMC machine embroidery thread is another favorite. I don't hate Superior threads, but there's something about the company that really bugs me. I don't know what it is though.

I've been going back and forth between Redrock threads and Soft Expressions for thread but I don't feel like playing guessing games at 8.95 a spool for Aurifil. DMC thread is really cheap..2.70 a spool, but I really couldn't find the colors I wanted. I don't know why my OCD is so bad, but I want the perfect colors to work with this quilt. I plan on doing some intricate thread work and need the colors to match. I want this quilt perfect.

Then the DUH moment hit me. Nancy Chong!! She sells Aurifil thread in small spools and her site is fabulous! I went to her site and she has actual spools of thread to show the colors. I found the colors I want!!! Now I can go over to Redrockthreads and get the colors I need. Nancy only sells the 220 yard spools or I'd order from her. 

I did find a kit (see the picture) but not sure I want to do it now. Her applique designs are so beautiful and to die for, but I'm not feeling like hand applique or fitting it for machine applique at the moment. If you do like hand applique, her DVD is awesome. It's worth every penny.

Now to work out the quilting designs for the compass points. I know what I want. I'm just not sure how to translate my brain to paper. I wish I had my embroidery machine before I started this project.






0 comments: