Thursday, September 17, 2009

Working Out The Fabric Details


Started working on my Dahlia quilt some more. I traced around the templates for each fabric and hand pieced them together.

I don't know about you, but hand piecing with batik fabric is murder. I despise it. Then I remembered I have Thread Heaven. That REALLY helped and I was able to get the rest of the row done.

I started off with white thread and realized that it was visible. I switched to a brown thread and it disappeared . Especially as my hand piecing is awful. It started getting better as I got toward the last piece.

This was a test section. I think the darkest pink needs to be last. Or the light pink needs to be in the middle. What do you think?

I got brave and started a blu-ray blog. It's just my ramblings on movies and nothing terribly technical. I'll leave that to experts. It's called A Girl's Point Of Blu

4 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, batiks are a pain in the butt for hand sewing. I wonder if you should try Bottom Line for the hand sewing? I've been using it for my english paper piecing and the threads aren't getting tangled or anything. They just fly straight through.

Your Dahlia is going to be beautiful. Now I feel like it needs to be added to my quilting bucket list!!

Gina said...

Do a few more rows before you decide whether you need to move the colours. The colours will look different when there are more of them together.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kimberly Mason said...

The colors are beautiful and beautiful right where they are. That dahlia will GLOW.

I hand pieced wonky shapes with batiks last year and I know how hard it is needling thru the fine weave. It wasn't until about 3/4 of the way thru the piecing that I found size 12 needles (I usually use 10 or 11) and the size 12 went thru the batiks like BUTTER. They are a bit smaller, tho...

Anonymous said...

Can u tell where i can procure templates for this dhaliaπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™