Friday, October 16, 2009

Center Of My Dahlia

Feeling TONS better. I've been working on this most of the evening:

From Quilted with Love


So far the middle is good. I've been taking my time and trying very hard not to stretch the seams. I found if I did it in sets of two, I didn't stretch it as much. Any more than two at a time made for awkward attempts at inset seams. I've got 9 done right now. I haven't sewn up the entire dahlia so I don't get stuck in the middle.

I am loving the pink center. The flash makes it much lighter than it is. I wasn't sure at first, but it really sets off the inner colors. I still need one more outer color and a background to finish up. I'd like a green so I have leaves.

My hand piecing is still really bad. It's so awkward. Even after all this work I really struggle. I've also realized I haven't pulled the thread tight enough through the pieces. I may have to go back and touch up a few spots. I've reinforced the set-in seams though.

4 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful. I truly believe that your Dahlia is the best I've ever seen. Lovely colors, great fabrics, great design....and a great center.

Thanks for sharing.


SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Bethany, it's beyond beautiful!! I don't know what you're talking about, your hand sewing looks great!! You're too hard on yourself. =)

Ela said...

Wooow!Beautiful!!

Auntie Em said...

Wow! I have never seen a dahlia quilt with a pieced center like that one. It's going to be spectacular when you are done. I love the colors, too.