Thursday, April 07, 2011

Marseille White Corded Quilting

I finally made it up to the International Quilt Study Center and Museum today for the first time.  I had wanted to see this exhibit as I love whitework quilting.  The pictures I uploaded here do not do this exhibition justice.  You have to see it in person to see the exquisitness of the work done.  You'll have to click on the photos for more details.

I can't even imagine the time and effort it took to insert cording between two layers of fabric.  There isn't any batting, just cording throughout the entire work.  The stitches are immaculate and beyond anything I could ever do.

The one above is from Britain and the outside border is shown below.  There is cording between every stitch.


  The corner:

I love the texture on this piece between the flowers and the dots.

A close up of the medallion:
And the dots/flowers:


The earlier dated pieces have even more cording done.




This is a new piece.  I fell in love with the scalloped border.

They also made clothing:

Again.  If you get a chance, go and see the exhibit.

0 comments: