Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I have a question.  If you have any ideas, let me know, especially if you excerise, cycle, walk or have a health care background.  I have epilepsy but it's never stopped me before.  I have fibromyalgia and a bad back..which seems better after cycling.

Since I've started cycling my body gives out after a half hour or about 5 miles.   I mean, it really gives out.  Nada.  Zilch.  Nothing.  I spend the rest of the day/night sleeping it off and still wake up exhausted.  It's to the point where I'm sleeping in until at least noon.

I walked a mile yesterday came home and slept for two hours.  DH and I went out for a simple bike ride, both on cruiser bikes.  15 minutes later I'm done..maybe 3 miles?  I've slept until almost 1pm today.

I'm 35.  Out of shape (unless you count round as a shape) which is why I started cycling.  I thought this would get easier..that's how it is with exercise right?  You lose weight, get stronger and healthier.

I know I'm not 15 like my son who can do 20 mile round trip, but after cycling since May you'd think I'd do more than 5 miles.

Sunday I went out for a ride, gone 4-5 miles most of it uphill (welcome to rural NE) came back home and slept.  I woke up a couple of hours later and the room started spinning.  For a second I thought I was going to have a gran mal seizure.  Thankfully; I didn't.  For about an hour every time I sat up the room would spin for a second or two.  I kept myself hydrated, ate like I was supposed to for a cycling trip and still spent all day Sunday and night sleeping it off.  

A few cycling friends said I was probably "bonking" which means your sugar levels are down to zero.  How do you "bonk" at 5 miles or at 1 mile of a walk?  DH can do 9 and not have any problems and he's not sucking down Gatorade, energy bars, etc.

This is also why I haven't done anything quilty.  I'm too busy sleeping.

Yeah, I know.  Go see a doc.  I've been around enough docs to know they'll say, "just take it easy and not overdo it".  I'm not cycling every day to give myself a break, but nothing is helping.  Maybe I should just give up cycling for now, but I love doing it.

1 comments:

Lonesome Dove said...

I am surprised no one commented on this post. I'm sorry about your epilepsy. My sister developed petit mal seizures at the age of 18 and about 10 years ago, we found a surgeon at UW in St. Louis who was able to fix the problem and she has been seizure free since. As far as "bonking"....never heard it called that before.....have your doc do a glucose tolerance test. I have hypoglycemia and the absolute best way for me to care for it is no sugar, no refined flour, and lots of proteins/fats. Keep the carb intake very low. But do check with your doc first. When I do it right, I feel incredibly great with tons of energy. But that one slip (candy bar or ice cream) will set me back for days.

Best of luck to you and don't give up!