Thursday, February 09, 2012

Cold And Wet

But now just cold.

I discovered on Tuesday that a small water tube to my humidifier burst, flooding out my basement just enough to make things miserable.  I've learned a long time ago never to put valuables or anything else you don't want wet in the basement so most of it wasn't a loss.  The tube probably burst in the morning and I didn't discover it until around 2:30 pm.

I spend all afternoon cleaning up and go to turn on the heat.  Nothing.  A few hours later, nothing.  The gas guy comes in the next morning and painfully tells me that the circuit board is fried due to the water and I won't have heat until Friday.

So now I'm just cold.

I do have a giant heater, kerosene? out in the garage.  You know, that LDS three day emergency kit thing, but I don't think I can put it on carpet and truthfully I'm scared too anyway.  I have a small heater sitting next to me right now so we aren't freezing.  Just cold and glad I have a lot of quilts to use.

I'm just grateful the Service Guard plan we purchase every month covers everything and it wasn't a water pipe.  Yeah, it's expensive, but sure beats having to come up with the cash to fix this.

Now I just hope it's the circuit board and I don't need a whole new heater.  It's too cold to quilt right now so I'll post when I can.

edited:

Took out the kerosene heater.  No way will that work in my house as the rooms are too small and the caution page was filled up completely.  I know my FIL meant well when he was convinced the world was ending (long story) and bought us the heater but it's really meant for industrial usage.

1 comments:

Marcia said...

If you do resort to lighting the kerosene heater....just be aware that it gives off a very unique smell. It's just the smell of the kerosene burning, but it's not the most pleasant smell in the world and it lingers in the air for several days afterward. Praying that the temps don't drop too low tonight!