Monday, March 26, 2012

I get the idea of copyrights as it protects everyone in the business industry.  What I don't get is how far it goes for a consumer.  At what point does it become insanity for us as consumers or small business owners?  Between some stupid tote bag, Provo Craft and computer software, Pinterest and all the crazy rules on fabric and patterns, do we as consumers have rights and legal protections?

Here's how I see it:

 If you make your copyrights so exclusionary the consumer is lost in how to use your product, don't be upset when you go broke as no one dares to buy it.
 

If you can't keep up with technology, don't get mad when you get passed up by it from competition.


If I have to label anything I have with every Tom, Dick and Harry's name on it, you are out of your mind.


Even if you as a business are lawfully right in a business dispute, it doesn't mean your consumers see it that way.  Bad PR is a death sentence that most businesses never recover from.  There is nothing wrong with lawfully protecting what is yours, but there will be a backlash and a loss of consumers depending on how the situation was handled.


If I like an item and "pin" it, I shouldn't live in fear that I've violated the rules.  Be pleased that I liked your item enough to put it up on my wall as I'm beyond picky.  The "pin" goes back to the owner anyway.  If you don't want your items "pinned" I think it's your responsibility to put that on your site.


I do believe in giving credit where it's due and I do believe in following the laws.  I'm just tired of having to deal with it everywhere I go.

1 comments:

shannon said...

AMEN!!!