Thursday, February 26, 2009

Adding Machine Embroidery To My Blog

I've decided to add my embroidery stuff to my quilting blog so the next few posts will be embroidery machine related.  

I started out with a Janome 350e but quickly realized I needed a machine with a larger hoop than the giga hoop.  What I didn't realize about the giga hoop is that it's actually two 5x7 hoops that overlap.  I thought I could put in a 6x6 design and stitch it out.  You can't.  You have to split the design in half.  No biggie, but the basic Janome software doesn't do that.  Nor does it convert formats.  Well...darn.  So I bought Embird, a basic software program that's not affiliated with any sewing machine company.  Great program.

My first attempt at using Embird to split a design and using the Giga Hoop.   Obviously, it didn't work.  The Giga hoop is a great hoop, but I found myself not really using it.  It's great for combining two designs, but I don't like having to split up one design to make it work.  I'm too lazy.

From Blogger Pictures

After buying a Sapphire 870 and falling in love with it, I realized Viking made the Topaz, an embroidery version of the machine.  Evil Viking Company.  How you tempt me.  Hubby said I could keep the Sapphire and get the Topaz 30.  Who are you and what did you do to my husband??  My husband won't admit it, but he likes quilting and embroidery.  Shhh.

From Embroidery Designs
The Topaz boasts one of the largest hoops in the industry of 360x200 which is partly why I bought the machine.  It can do an 8x8 inch block without splitting it.   The only catch to the Topaz 30 is that almost all editing needs to be done on computer.  There is no touch screen to see the layers and scroll through things like my Janome 350e does.  If you can get past that, it's an incredible machine.  It has most of the features of the TOL machines which I love.

1 comments:

Cippriani's Rib House said...

I've long been a fan and follower of your work, as we shared an appreciation for the more intellectually interesting aspects of the squared circle. The blog is a welcome surprise and I look forward to reading it regularly.
embroidery machine