Friday, August 24, 2012

Re-Patching a Tire

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but how on earth can you screw up patching a hole in an inner tube?  Even a 5-year-old kid can do this with ease.  Just put the cement on the tire, wait for it to dry,  put the patch over the hole and air up the tube right?



After closer inspection this afternoon I realized I'd missed the second hole from the thorns despite my attempt to get both of them covered.  I looked at the patch.  It's huge.  How could I possibly miss the SECOND hole?

Note to self: Use a Sharpie pen if you have more than one hole to mark them.  Duh.

It's one thing to pump air into a regular tire.  Piece of cake.  Not so for a fat bike inner tube.  I was out for 10 minutes pumping air with my basic home pump.  I'm SO screwed if I get a flat tire out on a trail as it would take hours to use my hand pump.  I have no clue how many CO2 cartridges it would take to fill it up.

I'll see how my tire does in the morning.

0 comments: