Monday, June 08, 2009

Look Out! One UFO Done!!

Muwahhahahah!  I have one UFO done and I love it.  My appliqued flower could probably be placed a little higher but it's beautiful.  And.. for once there were no swear words used in the making of this project.  That's because I simplified it.  No snaps.  No magnets.  No buttons.  I even got the purse strap between the outside and the lining!!  

The first purse like this was a disaster.  It took several days and so much frustration I wanted to cry.  It wasn't the pattern, it was just not knowing how to make a purse nor how to put the extras in.  I gave that purse to my daughter and she adores it.  I got this one done in an afternoon.

Wanna see it?

From Blogger Pictures
A close-up of the flower:

From Blogger Pictures


I did the flower using 606 spray. Errr. It works but I'm not sure it's worth the time and it's rather messy.  Maybe because it took several tries to get it right.  I can still see the edges fraying just like with fusible webbing.   

I drew out the flower free hand on paper.  Then realized I needed to reverse the pattern and retraced on the back.  I sprayed the fabric with 606. It leaves a white film and make sure it's really white.  I used 505 spray to adhere the fabric to the paper and cut out around the flower section.  I cut out each flower piece and took off the paper template.  I positioned the pieces onto the purse and pressed it with the iron.  I don't think my pieces were "white" enough but I can't redo it.  I couldn't find my brown to satin stitch it either.

I'm trying to decide if I should add a smaller flower or some leaves but figure simpler is better.

I'd love to make a matching wallet but don't have a pattern and I'm too cheap to pay for one.  
    

6 comments:

A Creative Life said...

What a fine job you have done. I like the flower. I would go for the simplicity and leave it to one flower.

bettyp said...

Very nice job !!
I would just put another flower just to the right of the one you have ther and not add any leaves nor vine
bp

Jennifer said...

Cute purse - I love it simple, just the way it is.

Gina said...

Now come off it Bethany. You know it's not a proper finish unless you've sworn over it once or twice. LOL
I think it's a great purse and I would leave it as it is.

love and hugs Gina xxx

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Looks great! Congrats on your first finish!

Jen said...

Congrats on your first finish. I can't wait to see the wallet!! I know you can do it. And, I think this is the first purse I've seen you make that hasn't made you swear the whole way through. Good job!!