Monday, February 01, 2010

Viking Topaz Plastic Templates

Well, dangit. I'm a little upset at Viking right now.

DH recorded a quilting show for me that was actually interesting. The lady was demonstrating how to do machine embroidery applique with her Bernina 830 and had a neato trick that would work with my Topaz. 'Cept when I called my dealer to ask if my Topaz hoops had plastic templates she said they didn't. What!!?? Even my Janome 350e has templates for every hoop size!!

She said I just needed to print out paper templates from my 4D Extra software. If you've ever printed out paper templates you'll know that they are awful. Paper is NOT sturdy and it shifts. It's not see-through either.

If you are doing a VERY complicated design like the one below, it's even worse with alignment placement for your machine. I've trimmed the designs down for marking purposes, but if your print out full templates for guides it's useless.

From Embroidery Designs
The lady demonstrating the Bernina 830 just put the gridded plastic template on the fabric, aligned everything, set it on the sticky stabilizer and stuffed it on the machine for a perfect fit.

I have to go into Embird (4D Extra doesn't do this) program alignment guides for each design, stitch it out on the stablizer and align the marked lines with the stabilizer using straight pins. It takes 10 minutes or more to do this for each design. No wonder I've hated this quilt pattern!!

The finished result is gorgeous but it's so time consuming it's almost not worth the effort:

From Quilted with Love
I'd use my 350e but the designs are too large and to split them in half would just make it worse.

*edited* I emailed Viking and asked about templates. I'll see if I get a reponse. They did respond to me about the needle issue.

2 comments:

lw said...

Wow! That really is a beautiful design-- and in a few months, may seem like it's more worth the effort. I hope Viking gets the template issue straightened out-- the market is so competitive, seems like they'd want to stay on top of it.

Lonesome Dove said...

That is absolutely beautiful! I know very, very little about quilting, and nothing about machine quilting. I am always fascinated by your posts.