Friday, May 14, 2010

Setting 9-Patch Blocks

It's been a busy day.  What you think shouldn't take very long usually does.

I figured I'd start putting 9-patch blocks and squares together and start working on this quilt.  Waiting until I get 1440 patches done will take forever.  It wouldn't be a problem getting lots of rows done.

I've spent the afternoon trimming blocks into 2 inch squares and then putting some of them into the set.

Here's what I've gotten done so far:

Making sure each row and block is exactly 1.5 inches finished has taken some time.  I've had to really play with the settings on the 7700 to get it working.  For some reason I have to piece with a setting of 4 and sew strips with a 3.5 setting.  I've also had to draw lines for even better accuracy.

I also discovered that it's hard to trim/work with fabric that is flimsy to piece rows and patches.  I bought some heavy spray starch and have been starching the fabric before I cut it.  I like the starch alternatives out there, but I really need the stiffness so the blocks stay at 2 inches.

Qualitee Inzpectur  sai seemz r purfict

Bandit has found sitting on the machine the perfect way to watch me sew.