Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Accuquilt Go! Cutter?

I have to ask, what is the big deal about this Accuquilt Go! cutter?  I watched the videos and saw tons of wasted fabric.  Yes, you can cut extremely faster and that's really sweet, but as a cheap quilter  I couldn't handle having all that wasted fabric that the dies left behind.  When doing applique, I make sure I use every bit of the fabric.  The dies appeared to just do the center and leave the sides wasted.

I about choked on the cost of the dies and you need a set of dies for everything.  The strip dies were 75 dollars a piece.  Errr.  No way.  Thats tons more fabric for my stash and almost the cost of a quilt top.

However; my curiosity makes me wonder that if you own one do you like it?  Is it worth the cost of the dies?  I'm so sick of cutting strips, but I'd need several dies to cut the strips and that makes me want to gag on the prices just thinking about it.  I didn't see a set that had different strip size dies.

How about accuracy?  The last thing I'd want to do is have 6 layers of different fabrics only to have them all "off" because something shifted.  That would really make me mad.

The site wouldn't let me read the reviews so it would be interesting to see what owners have to say.
      
      

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought an Accuquilt Go cutter on Ebay. Brought it home last Friday and cut like a mad woman all weekend. So far I love it but then, I really hate to cut pieces and craved the accuracy of a die cutter. I also sold myself on the idea that it would be better for my carpal tunnel (I'm an easy sell when it comes to gadgets.)

Right now I'm toying with the idea of buying the strip cutters. I'm able to position the fabric so that I'm wasting about as much as I would by hand cutting.

I have a friend who lives in Maryland and her public library has one that they allow people to reserve and use.