Sunday, July 25, 2010

Testing Out The Go! Cutter Plans

I pulled out two fat quarters from my stash and played with the Go! Cutter using both techniques.

First try:

I cut a 3.5 inch wide strip, laid it horizontally across the die and made the cut. I get 10 pieces out of it. Enough for the 3.5 strips that I need and a couple that need trimmed down to the next size of 2.5.

I cut a 2.5 inch wide strip and did the same thing.

There are a couple of issues with this technique; one is that the strips have to be perfectly straight across or all ten pieces are off. Second is that the smaller you go, the less stable the strip becomes.

Second try:

I trimmed down the fabric to fit the width of the die and made five strips. I then made sub cuts with my rotary cutter starting wih the 3.5 inch length. This will take forever and I have to move the strips off of the cutter to the rotary mat to finish the cuts.


I think the best method is to make the widths first and use the cutter this way. I need to use a Sharpie marker and draw several horizontal lines on the die to align the strips exactly. That's what scares me LOL. The last thing I want are permanent lines that are useless.

Now to make a block to figure out the correct 1/4 inch seam allowance so it comes out perfectly.

0 comments: