Yesterday was a disaster. I kept using my new seam ripper to the point where I wanted to stab my pattern book into small pieces. I finally broke down and cried for about a half hour. It's a stupid log cabin block and I've been trying for a week to piece it so it stays square.
About an hour later, a friend of mine stopped by and asked if I could come up with her to the fabric store to look at a kit. She's never sewn before and wanted my help. Cool! I went up with her, took a look at the quilt made with this pattern and gave it the evil death stare. How dare you flaunt yourself proudly as I'm struggling to get one block done.
I helped my friend pick out a simple kit for us to do and went back to take a better look at the quilt. I wanted to carefully rip apart the seams in revenge. While inspecting the quilt I realized her blocks were just as bad as mine! Or mine are just like hers! She had the same trouble spots as I did but the entire quilt is still stunning!
I asked the store owner about the quilt and she confirmed that the lady who had made had the same problems I had with accuracy. She did the best she could (and I know she's better than me) and put the quilt together despite the issues. There is hope! I went home and started again. Here's the first 2 blocks of the four that make one block:
If her blocks aren't perfect than mine will work just fine and I'll get this quilt done. I still need to work out the pink so it goes from light, dark and back to light.
I also got some rulers to help with accuracy. They are from Creative Grids and have 1/4 lines all the way through the ruler. I have a one inch wide skinny ruler and a 1/16 skinny ruler that came with the set. They are really nice and I love them.