Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I didn't know this until today but Provo Craft has banned 3rd party software and if I understand this right, their cricuts no longer will use software.  Great.  I get a cricut and this comes out.  I *think* I'm okay as I bought the MTC software the other night, but this really sucks.  Had I known this I would have bought a different cutter.

DH and I were talking about this and he wondered why we women get the shaft on our products.  He can go in, buy a modified DVD player from a 3rd party and the company doesn't care.   Toshiba isn't out suing another company for modifying a player to read both in PAL and NTSC formats. The video game industry isn't suing 3rd party companies for having accessories like controllers and headsets.  The sewing machine industry isn't suing 3rd party embroidery systems.

He said men just find a way to modify what they want.  He honestly thinks these companies prey on women and exploit their products thinking we don't have a choice.  If it were guys buying the products these companies would bend over backward to give them the features and the price they want.

Part of me wants to take the machine back to JoAnn Fabric and ask for a refund but I looked at the other cutters and they were really expensive.  I don't hate the cricut, I hate that a company has nothing but misplaced greed in mind.  If you limit a product's capability, you limit the people buying it.  Obviously PC has a right to protect their interests, but they won't even come up with software to enhance their cutter to compete with 3rd party software.  All I wanted was the ability to make freezer paper templates for the applique projects.

The cheapest way out is to use a pair of scissors and a pencil.  That's what most of us do anyway.  I don't have 500 to 1000 dollars to blow on a cutter even if it cuts my templates 400% faster than I can trace and cut.

I'm keeping the software though.  PC, quit being a Utard and get with it.  You could make millions if you really wanted too.

Rant over.  I feel better.
        

1 comments:

Barb said...

That is upsetting....