Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Quilting For The ADHD Quilter

I can't help it.  I really can't.  My attention span is pathetic.  I can't watch movies.  Getting anything finished is practically impossible.  I can't remember things and I can't always blame my medication for it.  My mind wanders constantly along a meandering path of ideas, dreams, impossible plans of greatness, and sometimes into the depths of depression.  

This post is one of those moments.  I really want to cut out fabric for a new quilt.  I had plans all morning to do this.  Instead, I'm writing a post.  My husband is in inservice all week meaning I have most of the day to myself.  All the grand plans of quilting, piecing, etc are zilch.  Nada.  Nothing.
 

From Quilted with Love

I bought fabric for this quilt last week. I've wanted to do this quilt ever since I saw the book a couple of years ago.  I finally bought the book last month.  Then I read the instructions.  It's at least 20 yards of fabric just for the top.  Ouch.  So, I decided to do the smaller lap size quilt.  

I got up this morning planning to work on my rose.  I took one look at it and realized, forget it.  I don't want to work on this.  It's giving me a headache just looking at it.  In fact, I have no desire to finish it.  I just don't have the attention span to work with finding the right piece of fabric for each piece to make it work.  That requires an attention span of more than I have today.  Then guilt sets in.  I should be able to do this.  Eh..forget it.  Start something else.

So I started cutting out the background fabric for the above quilt.  I got that done and then I wandered over to the computer and starting writing this post.  I have to concentrate to cut the fabric for this quilt.  x number of 5 inch strips.  X number of 3.5..  Oh NO!  I have to keep track of what I'm doing.  This is going to kill me.

Then I thought of things that would help me and came up with a list:

1.  It's okay to let your mind wander.  You can mentally work out problems or dream about your next project.  Just don't leave the iron on your fabric for too long or try to cut off your finger with the rotary blade.    

2.  Get up and walk around.  You will just beat yourself up in guilt that you should be able to do this.  Watch some TV for a few minutes.  Stare off into nowhere.  Write a post..  

3.  Do what you can.  If you can just cut out one section or piece a few blocks, be proud.  You did it!  Even if it takes twice as long as you think it should, congratulate yourself.  

4.  Plan a system to keep busy before you start piecing or quilting.  As hard as it is for me, it does work.  Cut a few strips.  Wander off.  Cut a few more.  Get a drink.  Start cutting a new section.  

No.  Not that way.  Work it out so that you are constantly busy with different parts of your project.

*mind wanders*  Oh.. what was I doing?  Cutting white fabric I thought.  How'd I end up here? Time to wander off again.  Eventually I'll get back to cutting fabric.

*1 minute later* Umm..I'm back.  Good thing I wandered off to write a post.  I just realized I wasn't done cutting white fabric.  I would have started another one and then be upset that for some reason I don't have all the pieces.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I could have written this post. Every word. �� I am so frustrated lately that I googled ADHD quilter and your post came right up. So thank you. Oh look there's a squirrel...

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Same here!!! I can hyper focus and I’m addicted to patterns. I can spend hours looking at them and cutting out templates for dozens of projects but never go back to them. I’m so frustrated. Reading this post made me feel like at least I’m not alone. Thank you!