Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Cross-Eyed

I got out my knitting needles and read through the first part my "Stitch 'N Bitch" book last night. She had a great tip of reading it out loud while doing the stitches. I relearned the double cast on stitch. It was SO much easier this time as it finally made sense.

I figured out how to PURL!!! It's not that hard once I got my hands to work with my brain. The book is wonderful in explaining stitches. I was doing great until my brain suddenly froze and everything I learned just went "poof". I just stared at the yarn in frozen disbelief. Back to the basics again. My brain has gone "poof" several times over the past day. Go back and re-read the manual. Start again.

I joined up on Ravelry.com as was suggested and found some free patterns. I just don't want to do a scarf with knit/purl/knit all the way down to eternity. I picked one and realized I had to learn how to increase 4 stitches evenly on the last row. *Flip to index on increasing stitches*

Errr. *reads the section several times* Right. No problem. Here goes attempt number one. Well, I managed to increase from 20 to 24 somehow with the directions so score one point on the scarf section. Not sure it looks like it should, but I figure it increased, I'm good.

My head hurts now and I've only done 4 rows. My hands/arms ache and I'm now cross-eyed for the remainder of tonight.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to figure out "Yarn Over". Make something with two sticks and some yarn. No problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your knitting, it sounds like you are off to a good start. My mother and grandmother were excellent knitters, but I just can't get the hang of it and I've tried many times, with their help, going to classes and buying books. All I can do is make scarves. I'm going to get the book you suggested and give it another try. I am so envious of the beautiful knitted projects I see. You've gotten me excited about knitting again.

Rhonda said...

Bethany...you are so funny. Just hand in there and soak in Epson's salt to ease your aching hand....LOL....Knitting is so foriegn to me. The only time I tried it, my aunt thought that she could teach me.....she wound up sending me packing 8-)